- What personally identifiable information of yours is collected;
- What organization is collecting the information;
- How the information is used;
- With whom the information may be shared;
- What choices are available regarding collection, use, and distribution of the information;
- What kind of security procedures are in place to protect the loss, misuse, or alteration of information under our control; and, how you can correct any inaccuracies in the information.
I. INFORMATION COLLECTED BY SORENSON MEDIA OR ON SORENSON MEDIA'S BEHALF.
- A. In General
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII or Personal Information) is information that can be used to identify or contact you. We collect the Personal Information that you provide to us in two general and distinct ways: (1) when you choose to purchase various services or products offered by Sorenson Media and/or its affiliated business partners, or (2) when you choose to participate in surveys or send e-mails to Sorenson Media. We also collect non-personal information from you and about your use of our Web site, e-mails, special promotions and newsletters that we may send to you, and Web sites of selected sponsors and advertisers. To no longer receive e-mails or other electronic communications from Sorenson Meda, you must elect to opt-out.
- B. Registration And Other Information.
- However, in order to have access to certain products and services available on Sorenson Media's Web site, you are required to complete a registration form and provide other information reasonably necessary for us to provide the products and/or services for you. Some examples of the information we collect in the Registration form are:
- Your Name
- Your Address(es)
- Your Phone Number(s)
- Your E-mail Address(es)
- Your Login Name
- Your Password
- Pages Viewed
- Your Credit Card Number(s)
- Your Customers' IP Address(es)
- Your Operating System/Machine Type
- C. Cookies
- We also collect anonymous, non-confidential, and non-personal information when you use our site, send us e-mails, or respond to special promotions or newsletters that we may send to you from time to time. For example, cookies are small computer files that we transfer to your computer's hard drive that allow us to know how often someone visits a site and the activities they conduct while on that site (such as the chatrooms you visited, whether you submitted orders for services or products, etc.). Every computer is assigned a different cookie by Sorenson Media. The information collected by cookies helps us dynamically generate advertising and content on web pages or in e-mails specifically designed for you and also allows us to statistically monitor how many people are using our site and selected affiliated business partners sites, or are opening our e-mails. We may use cookie information to target certain advertisements to your browser or to determine the popularity of certain content or advertisements. It may be possible to link non-personal cookie information to Personal Information collected.
- D. Web Beacons
- In limited circumstances we also may use "web beacons" to collect anonymous, non-personal information about your use of our Web site and the sites of selected affiliated partners, and your use of e-mails, special promotions or newsletters we may send to you from time to time. Web beacons are tiny graphic image files imbedded in a web page or e-mail that provide a presence on the web page or e-mail and send back to its home server information from the Users' browser. The information collected by web beacons allows us to statistically monitor how many people are using our site and selected affiliated business partners sites, or are opening our e-mails, and for what purposes. It may be possible to link non-personal web beacon information to Personal Information collected.
- E. E-mails and Newsletters
- As noted in the discussions of cookies and web beacons (see above), we collect anonymous, non-personal information about your use of e-mails and newsletters that we may send to you from time to time. In some cases, when you click on a link or an advertisement in an e-mail or newsletter, your browser may be momentarily directed to the site of a third party which, acting on Sorenson Media's behalf (see Disclosure to Web site Service and Content Contractors, below), notes or "counts" your response to the e-mail or newsletter before re-directing your browser to its proper destination. This re-direction process will not be apparent to you.
- F. Information Collected by Third Parties Not Acting on Sorenson Media's Behalf.
- G. Public Forums
- H. E-mails to Sorenson Media
II. DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION.
- A. Except as set forth in this paragraph II, or as specifically agreed to by you, Sorenson Media will not use, disclose, or store any Personal Information it gathers from you on our Web site unless reasonably required in order to answer your questions, to provide products and/or services you may request or purchase from our Web site (such as, information we need to share with our credit card internet gateway), or unless reasonably required in order to comply with a governmental or Sorenson Media company record-keeping requirement.
- We may release Personal Information to third parties: (1) to comply with valid legal requirements such as a law, regulation, search warrant, subpoena or court order; or (2) in special cases, such as a financial threat to you or others. In the event that we are legally compelled to disclose your Personal Information to a third party, we will notify you unless doing so would violate the law or court order.
- B. Disclosure to Sorenson Media's Subsidiaries/Affiliated Entities.
- C. Disclosure to Sorenson Media's Operations and Maintenance Contractors
- Sorenson Media's operations and maintenance contractors may sometimes have limited access to your Personal Information in the course of providing products or services to Sorenson Media. These contractors include vendors and suppliers that provide us with technology, services, and/or content related to better operation and maintenance of our Web site. These contractors also may have access to your e-mail address to send newsletters or special promotions to you on our behalf or to send e-mails to you for purposes such as conducting market research on our behalf. Access to your Personal Information by these contractors is limited to the information reasonably necessary in order for the contractor to perform its limited function for Sorenson Media. We also contractually require that our operations and maintenance contractors (1) protect the privacy of your Personal Information, and (2) not use or disclose your Personal Information for any purpose other than providing us with products and services.
- D. Disclosure to Web site Service and Content Contractors
- E. Disclosure To Or By Co-branded Channel Partners
- F. Disclosure to Linked Sites
- G. Disclosure of Aggregate Information
- Sorenson Media may provide to third parties non-personal information about you that does not allow you to be identified or contacted and that is combined with the non-personal information of other users ("Aggregate Information"). For example, we might inform third parties regarding the number of users of our site and the activities they conduct while on our site. We might also inform a company that performs services or that provides products and/or services to Sorenson Media (that may or may not be a Sorenson Media business partner or an advertiser on our site) that "50% of our users live in the USA" or that "85% of our users have purchased products and/or services which can be downloaded from Sorenson Media's Web site." Depending on the circumstances, we may or may not charge third parties for this Aggregate Information. We also may not limit the third parties' use of the Aggregate Information, except that we do require third parties to whom we disclose Aggregate Information to agree that they will not attempt to make this information personally identifiable by combining it with other databases or otherwise.
III. HOW SORENSON MEDIA HANDLES PRIVACY AND SECURITY INTERNALLY.
IV. YOUR PRIVACY CHOICES.
When you complete Registration, you will be given the option of receiving recurring informational/promotional e-mails from Sorenson Media and/or third parties. You may opt out of receiving e-mails from or on behalf of Sorenson Media at Registration by removing the automatic check mark from the statement that expresses a preference for receiving these e-mails and newsletters. You may also opt out of receiving these e-mails and newsletters at any time. When you have received a newsletter you wish to stop, click on the "reply" button in your mail program, then type in the word "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the "Subject" field and send. Sorenson Media's Customer Service will unsubscribe you.
At Registration, you may also have the option of receiving e-mails or newsletters from third parties, participating in research or marketing surveys and participating in other activities. You may exercise these options by placing a check mark beside a statement that expresses a preference for receiving these communications or participating in these activities. You may change your decision at any time by following the directions regarding how to unsubscribe from these e-mails or newsletters.
This privacy statement applies only to the Sorenson Media's Web site. The Sorenson Media Web site does contain links to other sites. Once you enter another Web site (whether through an advertisement, service, or content link), be aware that Sorenson Media is not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage you to look for and review the privacy statements of each and every Web site that you visit through a link or advertisement on Sorenson Media's Web site or any site that collects Personal Information from you.
V. UPDATING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND CONTACTING SORENSON MEDIA.
You can always contact us in order to (1) delete your Personal Information from our systems, (2) update the Personal Information that you have provided to us, and (3) change your preferences with respect to marketing contacts or other activities, by e-mailing us at email@example.com. Such changes will not have any effect on other information that Sorenson Media maintains. If you have a complaint or problem you may e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and the customer service department will forward your complaint to the appropriate internal Sorenson Media department for a response or resolution. We try to answer every e-mail in a timely manner but are not always able to do so.
You should be aware that it may not be technologically possible to remove each and every record of the information you have provided to Sorenson Media from our servers. The need to back-up our systems to protect information from inadvertent loss means that a copy of your Personal Information may exist in a non-erasable form that may be difficult or impossible for us to locate. Nevertheless, upon receiving your request, we will endeavor to delete all Personal Information stored in the databases we actively use for research and daily business activities, as well as other readily searchable media.
© 2009 Sorenson Media, Inc. All rights reserved